Can oils help me to sleep better?
If only it was that simple!
Wouldn’t it be incredible if everything that went wrong in the human body could be prevented or cured by the use of plant extracts or pure essential oils.
Whilst they hold a special kind of magic in our lives and the lives of our community, they do not always stand alone. There can be many other aspects that attribute to getting the body or mind back into the balance necessary to promote health and well-being.
We use 3 main blends to start the journey towards better and fulfilling sleep patterns.
The 1st being the Balancing Pack the synergistic blend we use to assist with symptoms of adrenal fatigue. Sleep issue rank highly in the symptoms of this issue, both going to sleep and staying asleep.
The 2nd being the Grounding Pack the synergistic blend we use to assist deep replenishing sleep. For those that struggle to get the deep, non REM sleep and surface during the night awaking tired in the morning.
The 3rd being the Sleep Pack the synergistic blend we use on those who need to ‘Shut up and go to sleep’! For that brain that won’t stop buzzing and buzzing and buzzing.
For many these work instantaneously – for others there are underlying issues and these are many and varied, which is why some blend work for some and some for others.
- Exposure to excessive amounts of light at night that prevents the release of melatonin. Melatonin levels rise as light diminishes and promotes sleep. This includes screen time of any sort ceasing 1 hour before sleep time and changing LED lights to low wattage yellow bulbs.
- Exposure to electromagnetic radiation. Switching off WiFi at night, no charging of devices near the bed, shifting the bed away from the smart meter.
- Routine levels of daylight and darkness to activate your body clock or circadian rhythm.
- Sleeping in extreme darkness and keeping the temperature in the room below 20 degrees Celsius.
- Getting enough sleep for your needs – generally 7 hours min. Research shows that increasing your sleep by an hour per night can dramatically affect your general health and well-being in the future. Those not getting enough sleep can present with symptoms of memory loss, inability to make decisions or process information.
- Low levels of Vitamin C, D3 and Magnesium can all contribute to the quality of sleep.
- Emotional issues like stress, depression and anxiety can all contribute to sleep issues as well.
So is it as simple as diffusing oils?
Unless you are in a small confined space the odds of a vaporiser or diffuser making big changes extreme sleep issues is slim.
A warm bath infused with oils (remember to use a carrier oil and salts to emulsify unless you want to get burnt) for 20-30 mins will help you to unwind after a big day and ease any aches and pains – the investment of time could mean a deeper and longer sleep.
Topical application in a roll-on and applied to any part of the body gives the higher effect and is in fact the easiest and most commonly used way. Tailor made by yourself is always the freshest and most cost effective way but we also have a small pre-mixed range for beginners.